Squishy Humans

Daz Studio Indonesia

Question

Hi!

so the Squishy Humans project is finally available in the store.  Now I’m going to say its not for everybody – it involves a lot of dForce cloth engine and more than one figure in the cene can take a while to simulate.  But if you don’t mind dealing with dForce, and setting up a simulation animation it can add a lot of subtle and not so subtle realism to your images.   So I’m going to explain a little of whats going on in it and how its built, and then I’m going to start posting clusters of the promo images at full size.  Some of the changes are hard to see, and I figured this would help.

Technical constraints:

I wanted to build a soft body simulation system for DAZ studio using the tools laying around (dForce cloth engine) Well if you just make the human skin dynamic nightmare things happen. I think we’ve all done that by accident by now.  So I knew I had to build an armature structure inside the figure, as well as control the surface of the figure to allow skin elasticity.

Differrent People are Differrent – However, differrent shapes should deform differrently. A very large shape like George should squish differrently then a slender person, and a muscular person.  However this needed to be a one-squish-fits-everyone solution.   So it isnt ideal for eveyone, which means you may want to tweak the simulation settings to suit your character.

Dforce limitations – The other big technical constrait is that dForce does not currently allow for a one-click preset be applied to a figure.  So you will need to go into the Characters folder to find Squishy Human Base 8 and Squishy Human Base  8.1  and then build your character onto those.  I really wanted to make it a one click application but nothing I tried would work and the DAZ programmers couldn’t find anything either.  So I’m sorry about that, and if it ever changes be sure I will update this project.  

Resolution Effects Deformation – And the last technical constraint is mesh resolution.  Frankly Genesis 8 bases are not very dense.  This means that very small or sharp deformation doesn’t happen.  So if you want a hand print shaped indent on the chest or buttocks, you are going to need to start with Squishy Human, and then use a modeler to get the rest of the way.   You could try subdividing g8 more, but in my tests I didn’t see much of a change so I’m pretty sure that won’t help

Geografts – Geografts work fin as long as they do not intersect any ares of the figure that has simulation active on.  So I made sure that all genital grafts will work. Anything on the head should work as well as hands and feet. Chest and buttock area grafts may not work, as the mesh will rip apart during simulation.   I tested a wide variety of grafts from DAZ and other sites.

What to look for after simulation 

Simulation effectively ‘turns on gravity’ and adds weight to the figure.  Depending on the pose and motion large muscle masses will shift. Look at the thighs, arms and torso.  Small areas will collide with themselves such as the arm into the chest, thighs pressed togather, and legs crossed. Unexpected effects also happen, when bent forward the belly starts to roll, and side to side motion also starts to develop compression wrinkles naturally.

If you have used dynamic clothing the clothing and Squishy Human will effect each other. If the clothing is not dynamic, then it will act as a hard surface collission.

Pros

Adds very subtle natural shaping dynamiclly according to pose and motion. Can add dramatic changes due to impact with another figure or a prop.  Default setting works fairly well with most figure shapes including heavy, slender and muscular.  Relatively simple to use as long as you remember to use simulation animaitons any time another figure or prop is collided with.  If your hair, cloth and figure are all dynamic then all items will affect each other naturally.

Cons

It’s dForce, and dForce can be twitchy.  Do not, EVER let a figure limb cross through another limb or prop during simulation, or clip through a floor plane. Its ugly and disturbing.  If you have an extensively grafted figure some of the graft welds will cause issues.  Currently you have to work on the Squishy Human base presets, and dial the morph and load materials for your character.  There is NO simulation active on the head, hands or feet and simulaiton has been greatly adjusted to avoid clashing with inherent JCM ‘collision’ morphs built into the figures (back of knees, armpits).  So poking her in the cheek will do nothing, sorry.

So in conclusion

This is another tool and approach to a solution for softbody collissions.  I worked with FeralFey, one of our excellent pose artists, who has made some bases poses in the sets and another pose set so you have some animaitons premade to work with.   This is obviously not a perfect soltuion, but I think it’s prety good for most uses and has some space for customisation for your particular needs.

Okay and now for the images 🙂

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet